Top Five Things to Know When Considering
- Insurers differ: All pet insurance is not the same. Some insurance plans cover accidents to your pet, but not illnesses. Some plans cover treatment for cancer, some don't. It can be confusing, so you will need to do some research.
- Don't just look at the price: A low price is no bargain if your insurance company denies your pet's claim. Cheaper policies tend to provide less coverage. Will the cheapest pet policy cover your dog's cancer treatment? Probably not.
- You are reimbursed by the Pet Insurance Company: All pet insurance companies will allow claims from any licensed veterinarian. With human health insurance, your doctor invoices your insurance company and you may never even see the bill. However, with pet insurance, you have to pay your veterinary bill and then submit your claim to your insurance company for reimbursement.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered: Not ever. Think of it this way: if you got into a car accident and then tried to buy auto insurance the next day, they would not cover the accident you already had.
- Is pet insurance worth it? Pet insurance protects you from large, unexpected vet bills. If you are the type of owner who does not want to choose between going into debt or putting your pet down, pet insurance might be for you.
Below is an excellent website for comparing the various plans that are available. We have also included links to two companies that are rated very high by consumers. At CVAC, we are happy to assist you in any way we can with your claim filing.